- Time: November 12th, 2022, 8:30 PM MST
- Location: Mackay Stadium, Reno, NV
- Weather at kickoff: 48° Partly Cloudy
- Moon Phase: Waning Gibbous
- Odds: Boise State by 21
- TV: CBSSN
- Radio: 670 KBOI
- Commentators: Rich “3/4” Waltz, Aaron Taylor “Swift”, Brandon “B” Baylor (Sideline)
- Goalposts: Short
1. Top 7 Rivalry
I dipped my toes in a little bit of controversy on this one, but I don’t think it’s too far off. I think a good chunk of Bronco Nation would consider Nevada some kind of rival, mostly due to some unresolved malice over short goalposts and questionable officiating. (Peep the title of this site if you want to know the truth). That being said, Nevada has 2, (technically 1) win over the Broncos this century out of 17 tries.
2. The Desolation of Jay Norvell
Jay Norvell’s departure from the Wolfpack was unlike anything I’ve seen in our history in the conference. Somehow he managed to gut both CSU and Nevada, placing both firmly in rebuild mode. Despite a 7 game losing streak, Nevada has played their last 4 games all within 2 scores. They actually held a late 4th quarter lead against west division contender SJSU in their last matchup, before eventually losing by a score. Although nowhere near the team from a year ago, UNR welcomes in the Broncos while playing their best football of 2022.
3. The Biggest Little City in the World
Now here’s a trend I’d like to buck. Personally, I want to see what angry Taylen Green can do, and I expect it to be devastating. Revenge for the game last year or revenge for BYU last week, I want to see lots of points, lots of defense, and I want a peaceful heart by the 3rd quarter. Is that too much to ask?
4. Sweet Memories
Boise State – Lost 1
Nevada – Lost 7
Best name on their roster
While perhaps not an ideal material for hair products, Freshman LB “Stone Combs” makes his case as a football player.
Best Picture on their roster
Frankenstein’s kin have made their way to Western Nevada. Welcome to First Kick, Caleb Manson.
Players to Watch
Shane Illingworth, QB
Shane took the reins from skyscraper Nick Cox after the loss to Incarnate Word, but has yet to see a victory leading the Wolfpack. On the season he has 638 yards and a pair of TDs to go with 3 INTs.
Toa Taua, RB
The Taua RB dynasty has long reigned in Reno. I don’t know when it ends, but Mr. Taua remains the pulse of this team. 876 all-purpose yards and 11 TDs is a formidable season statline, and Nevada’s hope is in him. No more screen plays though pls.
BJ Casteel, WR
Sharing his namesake with a Boise State writer, BJ leads the Nevada wideout group who misses Green Bay Packer Romeo Doubs. On the season he has 33 catches for 397 yards and a pair of TDs.
Bentlee Sanders, DB
Bentlee is a bright spot for this defense, leading the team in both tackles (60) and INTs (5). This matchup will continue to tell the story of the guy we have in Taylen Green, and will test our young but improving WR core.
Keys to victory
- Tackling The tackling department certainly took a step back last week. I get it, things happen, but for this defense to recover some swagger, that needs to be a priority.
- Bronco Ball The most important thing in a game like this is control. Coming off a loss and going against a desperate team, the Broncos cannot show up scared or reckless. They are a better team than Nevada plain and simple, they just gotta play that way too.
- Taylen Green TG has quickly become a focal point for this team. I don’t care how he does it, but running or throwing the ball, he can take over this game. When they see this upgraded reincarnation of Collin Kaepernick, the game will be over.
I would love nothing more than a blowout in Reno, but I’m not ready to call it that yet. The extra week of prep will give Nevada a couple big plays, but will not be enough to overcome the Broncos.
Boise State 35, Nevada 21
BSU 45 Reno 10
Personally, I like Taylen just the way he is. No matter–cool. When you get an angry emotionaly guy you get a Southwick or Bachmeier. You can’t let them see you sweat or twitch. I watched CJ Stroud take his first snap as a freshman just out of high school; you would have thought he was limbering up before a scrimage. True some guys play emotional but that doesn’t seem to be the type of cat Taylen is. He’s a cool cat. A cool cat stands outside a burining house and waits for the mice to come to him.
It’s like we are on the same wavelength!
Was going to say the same about green. He doesn’t strike me as the type of guy that gets too fired up. And I agree that it’s not necessary a bad thing, it also could leave the offense without a vocal leader. So hopefully someone fills that role.
That’s was awesome. SCORE 🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈
Blocked Field goal!!!!!!
Holani is the man, what a run an TD.
Field goals are not an option, in the snow.
Finally, Fieldgoal GOOD! 🏈🏈🏈