- Time: (Today) March 16th, 2022, 5:45 PM MST
- Location: Sacramento, Calif. (Golden 1 Center)
- Odds: BSU by 1
- TV: truTV
- Radio: 670 KBOI
- Commentators: (the) Brad Nesser, Brendan Haywood, and Dana Jacobson
0 Wins, 8 Losses
There’s a lot of talk about legacy. There’s a lot of “most importants” and “greatest evers”. The chatter has made its way up and down Facebook comment sections, Twitter threads, and the unholy discussion boards. The question: is there a more important game in Bronco Basketball history? Where would a win place itself in Boise sports history?
At 5:45 today, there’s chance. Chances don’t come often, but today the Broncos can change that 0-8 and give themselves their first win in March Madness history. The matchup is far from a guarantee, but it’s winnable, what more could you ask for?
Exciting Facts and Such
1. But First, Disrespect
This is what I call data science. *THE* Northwest is the best, but Northwest(ern) is the worst. Can’t argue with objective fact, the people have spoken.
2. More Boring Data Science
Using some fancy stats from Kenneth Pomeroy, I made a fun little graph. A couple things to know: The best spot to be in is the top left, where ideal defensive efficiency is the farthest left and offensive efficiency is the highest. The dotted lines are the average in terms of teams we’ve played. Northwestern (the purple N) is slightly below average in terms of offensive, but the second strongest defensively (because they are the farthest left after SDSU).
As a team, Northwestern looks the most like Colorado or San Diego State (strong defensive team, below average offensively). This is good news, because BSU has zero losses this calendar year to below average offenses.
Here’s the thing: Basketball is a numbers game, the team with the most points wins.
3. ’tis the Season Where We Actually Get National Attention
Boise State– Lost 1
Northwestern– Lost 1
Player to Watch
Boo Buie, G
The Wildcats don’t score a lot, but when they do it’s this guy. 17 points, 3 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game. That kind of work at a 40% clip is what defensive coaches call “not good”. Broncos haven’t faced a star PG in a while, but maybe Yuri Collins at St. Louis is a good comp. Let’s just recreate the magic, gentlemen.
Keys to Victory
- Three Pointers + Free Throws: Today’s the day to make shots. If the Northwestern gets behind, it’ll be tough for them to come back. Point is, there’s been too much unrealized offensive potential the last few days. No need to take bad shots, and please..please make your free throws.
- Does the Shoe Fit? Cinderellas of March don’t come easy. The Broncos have great players, but someone is gonna have to be special tonight. Make that shot, get that steal, get that stop. Big-time teams win big-time games. ’nuff said.
This is our game. They want a brick fight and they’ll get one. That’s the game we play in the Mountain West. March experience should help us get the jitters out early, then we just have to play. Count on a special performance from someone tonight, I’ll bet it’s Max.
BSU 60, Northwestern 55