We at First Kick look to repent of our lack of basketball coverage. Obviously Previews/Recaps will be shorter, but there’s also like 100 games so you’ll be fine.
- Time: November 9th, 2022, 7:00 PM MST
- Location: ExtraMile Area, Boise, ID
- Weather at tipoff: Probably 70°
- Moon Phase: Court Ceiling
- Odds: Boise State by 7
- TV: Mountain West Network (There’s a free app for phones as well as streaming boxes like Roku. Also a website.)
- Radio: 670 KBOI
- Commentators: Chris “Hometown” Lewis and Nick “The Bird” Duncan
1. This game won’t be a layup, but it might be
The Jackrabbits nearly lost on a buzzer beater Monday night. Instead they opted by a normal one point loss in OT to the Akron LeBron Jameses. Truth be told SDSU was a tournament team last year and will certainly be a challenge. Will certainly be telling with all the newcomers in the mix for the Broncos.
2. Championship Bling
Season ticket holders plus the first 750 students at the game get a complimentary championship ring. Reports are that basketball championships will be complimentary too from here on out. Keep the swag coming.
3. Another Burnt (Or lack of) Redshirt
Like our beloved Tyson Degenhart last year, Jace Whiting will surprisingly not redshirt this year. Look for him to be another contributor to an ambitious Bronco squad.
Boise State – Lost 1
SDSU – Lost 2
Player to Watch
Zeke Mayo, G
The player surnamed after the colloquial name of the dressing known as Mayonnaise logged 40 minutes in their Overtime loss to Akron on Monday. He logged 13 points, 7 rebounds and 2 assists and plays a big part in a balanced attack for the Jackrabbits, who are hoping not to log a second loss at ExtraMile Arena. (The first being a 81-73 March Madness loss to Ohio State in 2018).
Keys to victory
- Defense Wins Championships Strong defensive focus and intensity marked a huge difference for the Broncos last year when compared to previous ones. Slow down the Jackrabbits and it could be quick work for the Broncos.
- Slow and Steady Wins the Race Most important tonight is giving our guys a chance to gel. I’m not predicting or suggesting a loss (First Kick will never be accused of that), but mistakes will be made tonight. Most important is progression and improvement so that we can recapture the magic of last year, and make some more this year.
I’m gonna need some practicing on predicting basketball scores, but I’ll take a shot in the dark here. Tough fought first half, scoring run at the end of the first that pours into the second.
Boise State 71, SDSU 60